Anguilla

9 September 2017

Anguilla is the most northerly of the Leeward Islands and covers 91 km2. It is mostly flat, the highest point being Crocus Hill at 65 m above sea level. Anguilla lies in the tropical storm belt and as a result, is susceptible to hurricanes.

The Valley is the capital but due to its size, there is no urban and rural distinction. The island is accessible by two seaports and an airport. Anguilla continues to be a territory of the United Kingdom, the Governor and the Deputy Governor being appointed by the Queen. The Governor presides over the executive council and reports to the legislative council. General elections are held every five years.

According to the 2011 census data the island’s total population was estimated at approximately 13,572, of which 6,707 or 49.4% were males and the remaining 6,865 or 50.6% were females. It is important to note that the number of live births does not accurately reflect the number of babies born to Anguillians, as many Anguillians give birth overseas and are not captured in national statistics.